Server virtualization is the partitioning of a physical server into several virtual servers. It is used to maximize the server resources.
In this virtualization, the resources of the server are itself hidden from the users, and a software is used to partition the physical server into several virtual environments, called as virtual servers or private servers. This results the dedication of one server to a single application or task.
Usage of Server Virtualization
The server virtualization technology is mainly used in web servers. By using virtual web servers, it provides low-cost web hosting services.
Instead of having separate computer for each web server, we can have number of virtual servers on the same computer.
Server virtualization is used:
- to make more efficient use of server resources,
- to improve the server availability,
- to help in disaster recovery,
- development and testing, and
- to centralize the server administration.
Advantages of Server Virtualization
- Each virtual server can be independently rebooted.
- Server virtualization reduces the costs because less hardware is required.