Apache Hive is a popular tool in Hadoop eco-system. Some of the limitations of Hive are as follows:
1. OLTP: Hive cannot be used for OLTP applications, since it does not support record level update, insert statements.
2. Data Warehouse: Hive is more suitable for data
warehouse applications on Big Data.
3. Latency: Hive queries have higher latency than SQL due to time overhead during start-up.
4. Batch Oriented: Hive is mostly used in Batch- oriented use cases.
5. OLAP: For Online Analytic Processing (OLAP) we can use Hive. We can use HBase also for OLAP processing.